Pages

Friday, June 10, 2011

'Adjust Madi' attitude

Don't you just hate it when you take so much pains to do something on time trying to make your day go without a hitch, and then suddenly everything starts going out of your hand. Why - because there is someone out there who did not do things ahead of time and thought that it would be perfectly all right to spoil others well made plans by asking them to 'adjust'.

It happened to me when I was coming to UK via flight. Like a organized person, I did a web checkin on time and reserved a place for me so that I would not have to hassle for a seat at the last moment and get what I want.There was a lady who had a seat next to me, and she was traveling with a kid. She did not have the foresight of checking in advance, and wanted me to adjust somewhere else so that she could sit with her kid next to her. There is no way that you can say no in this situation. I had to give up my seat and sit in a aisle seat - which I hate, since I am never comfortable there so that she could sit with her kid.

Then again there was this incident with my sister. She and her husband had gone to watch a movie in the theater. She is newly married and this may have been one of her first few movies together. And there again,  though they had the right tickets, they had to sit in two separate rows - all alone to watch the movie. Why - because there was a kid who had fractured his hand and the adult wanted to sit with the kid next to him for the movie.

I have seen so many cases where people have asked others to adjust so that they can be comfortable, sometimes using the sympathy factor and sometimes just for the sake of asking it.
I do not know what to say in these situations - you cannot say no because you feel bad for them, but then is it right? Is it right for a handful of people to use the sympathy factor and use the 'thoda adjust madi' attitude.
And where else are we using this 'adjust madi' attitude? Haven't we always learnt that being organised is the right way to do things, were we wrong?

1 comment:

  1. hmmm... i could barely laugh at the comedic incidents in Kungfu Panda-2, after the lady asked us to sit apart. Here's my trick to get revenge. While accepting to adjust, just make them feel miserable by saying something to the sort of "I'm not okay agreeing to your request, but only for your sake, I'm doing it. Remember that!"

    ReplyDelete