Pages

Monday, June 14, 2010

Twilight Book review

The first thing that people know about me is that I am books’ fan – mostly fiction, but when I have time at hand, then I can pick up any book and start reading it. The other thing is –I always like to complete a book that I have taken up, I cannot leave it incomplete however boring or sad the book might be. The only exception to that rule was the “Wuthering Heights”. I had so many people tell me that the book is impossible to complete and the movie has so many characters that you forget who is who. When I picked up Wuthering Heights, I was prejudiced and ultimately my record of unfinished books was broken. I could not get past the first 10 pages, though someday I would be finishing this book.
I heard about Twilight saga when my friends started telling me that they had gone to watch the movie and all females loved it. I am usually not a romantic novel person,  I am all into Robin Cook type  books, but after hearing their comments, my curiosity was piqued.  Twilight saga is the story of love between a human and vampire, the story where legends of vampires, werewolves become true. A love story, that too between vampires and humans, I had serious doubts about how good this book would be. But today, I have read the complete books twice and I can read them again. They have a different quality about them , not a typical romance novel neither an action or suspense novel.

In Twilight, 16-year old Bella comes to stay with her father, Charlie, in a small town named Forks, to give her mom and step-father a chance at their own life.  She hates the weather in Forks which is always cloudy and rainy, she hates being the pale girl and expects her first day in school to be worst. Her fears are confirmed when Edward Cullen, her biology partner, turns away from her and runs off at the first chance he gets, trying not to sit in her class again. However, luck turns her away, when Edward saves her from an accident with amazing speed and strength. Bella does not understand how Edward could have saved her, but Edward refuses to explain and refuses to be friends with her mentioning that it is not the right thing for them.  Bella, being a magnet for trouble, again comes across Edward when he saves her from some goons.

Jacob Black, son of Billy – Charlie’s friend, explains to Bella the Quileute legends of vampire and werewolves. Jacob’s grandfather had come across the vampire family  - Cullens a long time ago and the leader of the family had mentioned that they were vegetarians – the name being a joke within the family, drank only animal blood and did not kill humans. A truce was made between the Black family and the Cullen family mentioning that both can live in harmony as long as Cullens did not kill any human. Though Jacob himself does not believe in these legends, he knows something is not right with the Cullens.

The love story between Edward and Bella gets a little bit of action here when a series of animal killings start in the town.  The killers are however not animals but vampires. With the killing spree going on and the Quileute legends fresh in her mind, Bella puts two and two together and confronts Edward with the truth.  Bella mentions that she is not afraid of Edward but still loves hi,. Edward who reciprocates her feelings takes her to meet the rest of the family. Charlisle – Edward’s father, is the original vampire. Edward is his adopted son, whom he had created due to his loneliness and at Edward’s deathbed as a promise to Edward’s dying real mother. Esme had tried to commit suicide after losing her family, and Charlisle had converted her as well. So was the case with Emmett  and Rosalie. Alice had joined the Cullens family along with Jasper, her mate. Edward has the gift of reading everybody’s mind, however he is surprised to realize that Bella’s mind is a mystery to him. Alice, can see the future and Jasper can control the emotions. Charlisle is a practicing doctor and has never killed a human since his birth as a vampire. He values the human life and being a doctor helps him to save them.

The book describes Edward’s journey of how he has to conquer his thirst for Bella’s blood and love her truly. The love story takes a turn when the blood-thirsty vampires – James, Victoria and Laurent find Bella among the humans and want to make a meal out of her. James, a tracker, wants to find Bella and hunt her. The entire Cullen family now struggles to get Bella out of this mess. The end comes when Edward finally kills James and rescues Bella, but not before James has bitten her. Edward passes the test when he sucks out the venom from Bella’s blood, keeping her alive and human. The book ends with Victoria seeking revenge for her mate – James’ death.

I had not thought that the book would be this interesting but it held me in a grasp that I could not keep the book away. Stephnie Meyer has kept the thrill in the story alive, the flow of the story consistent. My recommendation to all you females would be to read it once and then you can judge for yourselves whether you agree to me or not. For my male friends, I am not sure how much you would enjoy this, if you have lived through the movie then you can take a quick peek through the book, though no guarantees from me to you at all.

Further reviews on the next books will continue …..

A small peek if you wanna watch the movie ..



2 comments:

  1. I read the Eclipse and Breaking Dawn. Great books. Even I couldnt keep the book down. To the extent that I found myself cooking with the book in one hand. Finished both books in 1 week. Now eagerly waiting for the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete